Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Spring Renewal



We will be reaching a high of sixty-two degrees today, here in NY! Can you believe it? Spring has literally crept up on us, and I couldn't be more excited! I’m already feeling the effects of “Spring Ahead”. I’ve decluttered my home office space, cleaned the house top to bottom, began reorganizing my bedroom, cleaned out my car and wallet. It feels great to declutter and get organized!

When my physical space is organized, my universe is too!
 
I am able to think straight, my natural energy is through the roof, and I can truly focus my energy on things that matter most without that little nagging “chore” voice inside my head distracting me. You all know what that sounds like:  I gotta do this, I gotta do that, I have to run this errand, I need to get this done...

Having that little nagging voice interrupting my focus decreases my productivity and greatly increases my chances of getting sidetracked, resulting in never finishing a project! And there’s nothing more that I hate than that- starting something with full intention of finishing it and then not finishing it just to start something else. NO BUENO.

Multi-tasking is detrimental to the soul.

So, with all that being said and with Spring in full swing and Summer fast approaching, I’m sure you have already felt the full effects and have began- or plan to begin- some Physical Space Spring Cleansing.

If not, here are some suggestions to get things in order in your living space- allowing you more free time and mental energy to focus on the things you love- and detox from the things that aren't positively serving or contributing to you feeling your best self.

  • 1. Keep your home in good order. Your home should be a reflection of your best self! Dedicate specific time- lock it into your planner (and if you don't have a planner I suggest you get one immediately). Choose a time on a specific day that you plan to get specific things done. The key here is specific. Determine how long the task is going to take, and dedicate that allotted time to that task- and that task only. This way the goal is measurable. And remember- multi-tasking is not efficient. 
 
  • 2. Freshen the air by including green plants in your home. Not only does it look pretty, but it feels good, because having earth elements inside the home ground us, balance us, and encourage an overall feeling of well-being.

  • 3. Open a window daily to help circulate fresh air. This one is especially beneficial, considering how cooped up we've been all winter. Side note- even in the winter, I still open the patio doors for fresh air, because it gets all the stagnant air moving.

  • 4. Watch television sparingly. Television is a time suck, at least in the way the majority of America utilizes it- as a distraction, something to do while eating, or an aid to fall asleep. This is counter-productive. Take the time you'd normally watch TV and do something else instead. For example, before you go to sleep, read a book, or put on relaxing, meditative music (YouTube has tons of free audios- and I guarantee you will fall asleep quicker and sleep sounder than you ever had in your life). Eliminating your dependence on television feels great! 

  • 5. Create space where loved ones can gather for meals and spend quality time together. I can't stress this one enough, and it goes hand in hand with Tip #4. In my home, I try to do this as often as possible and it feels great! Just the other day, my roommates and I had a few people over, and we all sat down to a home cooked meal without the TV on and just talked. It was lovely. And I recall people commenting, "I just noticed the TV isn't on. This is nice to be able to just sit and talk."
 
How does it feel to implement these tips and clear your mind?
What are some other ways you de-clutter and cleanse your physical space?
Let's keep the conversation going!
Please share in the comments section below.
 

P.S. Stay posted for upcoming tips on Spring Renewal Food Cleansing and an upcoming Group Detox Cleanse just in time for this beautiful warm weather!


Click here to receive free bi-weekly motivational and inspirational wellness tips to cultivate your happy, healthy, and balanced life.

Click here to share on Facebook.

Schedule your FREE Breakthrough Strategy Session today! ($100 value)
Visit realfoodpurelove.com to learn more.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting article; even though your writing is infused with a sort of self-help flavor, I really enjoy it nonetheless. I cannot tell you how much keeping a clean living space positively impacts my mood- it makes all the difference in the world. I think it's a fair point you make that the way we maintain our surroundings reflects on and influences how we're feeling internally. Speaking for myself, I feel far less depressed and anxious when my living room is neat and presentable-looking- so I could not agree more with you on this one. When working with recovering addicts, one of the first suggestions I make is for them to get their living space in order- its hard to start feeling better about yourself when your house is a disaster!

    The planner thing is interesting, and something I always rejected throughout early adolescence and my young adult years. I had always thought of myself as something of a free spirit, if not a little irresponsible and impulsive; one of those people who walked around with a daily intake planner and little 'to-do' notes was NOT the way I conceptualized myself- I wanted my life to be more spontaneous and unpredictable. But as I've progressed into my mid-20s, I've found that a little notepad detailing and listing various items I need to address over the coming week has become absolutely essential in maintaining a healthy and productive lifestyle; and in retrospect, I think my resistance to things like planners had a LOT to do with my general resistance to growing up and the idea of new challenges and responsibilities.

    Looking forward to your next blog post. This is my second comment (I also left some thoughts on the one about bacon) and I enjoyed reading through your work and reflecting on it. Since we're on the 'real food' blog, I'd be very interested in reading your thoughts on the relationship between food, anxiety, body image, and self esteem issues- as it relates to you, of course. I'd also love to hear about your experiences and reflections on substance abuse (if any) as you progressed from a teenager into the adult years, but maybe this isn't the right blog for that. Peace!

    ReplyDelete